kdelibs 3/kdebase 4 co-installable ?

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Mon Oct 15 12:57:15 BST 2007

On 2007-10-15, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:

> --nextPart2707807.xyd1vqpsLq
>
> On Sunday 14 October 2007 00:50:25 Armin Berres wrote:
>> I just had a short look and it seems as if the following files conflict
>> right now (KDE3 3.5.8 vs. KDE4 Beta3):
>>
>> /usr/share/emoticons/Default/*.png
>> /usr/bin/imagetops
>> /usr/bin/kcmshell
>> /usr/bin/kfile
>> /usr/bin/kdostartupconfig
>> /usr/bin/khotnewstuff
>> /usr/bin/kstartupconfig
>> /usr/bin/ksvgtopng
>
> The files that are in 'workspace' are not a problem;  I don't believe distr=
> os=20

in kde4 they are in kdebase (and workspace). in kde3 they are in kdelibs.
This is the core of the problem.

For a list of files in kde3libs:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/kdelibs4c2a/amd64/filelist

> allow you to have KDE3base as well as KDE4base installed at the same time.=
>=20

Correct. it isn't the plan to make kde3base and kde4base coinstallable.
This is _not_ what this is about.

> Naturally you should be allowed to install KDEEdu from KDE4, which requires=
>=20
> kdelibs from KDE4 as well as KDEbase/runtime from KDE4.
> But, again, not workspace.

Whattabout the other way around? Using kde3 programs in kde4?

/Sune