KDE Print porting - help needed

John Layt johnlayt at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 14 22:45:39 BST 2007

On Sunday 14 October 2007, Anders Lund wrote:
> Are there any example of this actually doing something useful? An app
> having a dialog with a custom page?
>
> After you ported kate, there are no kate specific pages in its dialog, and
> nothing seems to be working.

I believe Alex had some problems with kate, so printing is currently disabled.
In KDE3 it has some very useful extras in there like line number, header &
footers, etc.

In general there's about 16 out of 56 apps using them to set other things such
as stylesheets or layouts.  I've ported 8 of those so far and all work fine
here.

Custom pages is actually how we can get most of our lost features back in 4.1
if Qt doesn't support them natively in 4.4, such as pre-filtering (for 2-up
etc), cups options, etc.

We've finished 24 of the 56 apps, with only 5 left in the main modules, but 3
of those are an issue.  Two are in kdelibs and have issues (kate and khtml)
that need to be resolved before the kdelibs release.  Okular (and ligature in
extragear) use the printFiles method that we currenty have no substitute for.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm off to bed for some well deserved sleep, my
eyes are killing me!

John.