KDE Print porting - help needed

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Oct 11 09:46:06 BST 2007

Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 22:02:09 Alex Merry wrote:
>> On Wednesday 10 Oct 2007, John Layt wrote:
>>> P.S. Once we're done, I'd recommend moving kdeprint and the kcm into
>>> extragear or playground rather than kdebase.  That would allow it to
>>> have a separate release outside the normal KDE schedule once it's
>>> fixed, and distros can still include it if they want.
>> I think that's an excellent idea.
>>
>> Does anyone object to moving the kdeprint kcm to playground?  We need
>> leave libkdeprint until at least trunk/KDE is free from references to
>> it.
>>
>> Alex
>
> Why should the kcm be moved to playground, it's still usefull without
> KPrinter, isn't it ? It's an easy way to configure cups (better than the
> cupsd webinterface anyways)

Its "KDE Add Printer Wizard" just received another very high-profile
public praise again, being named a number 1 in Bruce Byfield's "12
Tips for KDE Users":

    "[...] this wizard is the best printer installation tool
     I've seen on any operating system."

On *any* operating system! (We should be proud enough of it to not
let this asset go the way of bit-rotting any more in the future...)

( http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3704311 )

However, if it helps to make its development and maintenance work
better, a move to a separate module (not necessarily one named "play-
ground", since that does not sound like we mean serious business!) is
not too bad a measure. It would make new releases easy (independent
of 4.0 or 4.1 releases) at any time a bug is fixed or a new important
feature is added.

Maybe even a completely separate module, with its own name could be
warranted, in order to signify the importance KDE grants its printing
support, and in order to give it some additional perception profile
to the distro packagers as well?

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS