list separator in config entries

Thomas Braxton kde.braxton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:20:13 BST 2007

On 10/8/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 08.10.07 12:27:57, Thomas Braxton wrote:
> > I know what was being pondered on this thread, but if I don't understand
> > what you think is broken then I can't fix it can I?
>
> Exactly what is tested in the test. KConfig doesn't properly store a
> list of strings if one of the strings has a \ at the end. I'm at the
> moment not sure wether reading or writing or both are broken for this,
> i.e. wether it doesn't escape the backslash or doesn't realize that this
> is not an escaped list-separator but in fact a list entry ending in a
> backslash and a list separator afterwards.

does this work in KDE3? I can't test it right now, because I'm not at home,
but if it doesn't why should we worry about it right now? It can be fixed
later if/when KEntry is reworked to use QVariant instead of QByteArray. And
if it's a Windows path then readPath/writePath should be used, now if that
fails thats a *big* problem that needs to be fixed now.

Also as was proposed in this thread the list separator is not really
> something the apps should decide to use or not as that makes no sense
> with backends that can store lists in a native format. (which is AFAIK
> a big part of what all the kconfig rework was about)

I have no problem with this.
Reworking KEntry to use QVariant instead of QByteArray will be alot of work,
something I think can/should wait until after 4.0.

One note regarding the patch: Why are those flags removed from
> kconfig_p.h? I'm just curious as I don't know the code very well anyway.

not really necessary, they were added to work around a bug somewhere else
that I fixed in the patch.