[Patch] KUrl::prettyUrl and xmpp: url

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 8 11:28:15 BST 2007

Olivier Goffart wrote:
>Thanks, I have committed.

Thank you. I'm late to say so, but the patch is ok.

>Anyway, another question comes to me : Why is the pretty URL passed to
> the application, and not the real URL? I mean, if a link contains a
> password, it make sens to pass the password to the application.

Pretty URLs are never passed from machine to machine. It's meant for human
consumption only. It is not a safe transformation because it discards
data as well as making it slightly broken.

>KRun replace %u by KUrl::pathOrUrl() which uses prettyUrl()
>the documentation of pathOrUrl say it is used for user display, so we
> should not use that in KRun.

Indeed. pathOrUrl() seems to be broken: it should return path() or url().
Otherwise, it should be called pathOrPrettyUrl().

>So I've replaced pathOrUrl by url() in KRun,  the side effect is that
> local files will have file:/// prefix, but i think application should
> cope with this.  Or should we try to remove the file:/// from urls
> anyway ?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358