kdelibs (at least) : test building by default

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Sat Oct 6 10:22:29 BST 2007

Hi all,

On Saturday 06 October 2007 10:40:50 Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> That is *not* the point. Some people do build tests by default and for
> these people, a unit test that doesn't compile means a module that
> doesn't compile. Developers that don't build unit tests quite often
> introduce compile breakers  for those that do build tests, and that
> has to stop.
> Technically it might be possible to make (c)make ignore errors
> building the test as nothing depends on them. If you think through
> what that would lead to you should see that that is also a bad idea.
> Basically, those who create problems would not be those who suffer
> from them, we'd have even more confusion and so on.
> So, sane option: Always build unit tests and fail if they don't build.

But even that is not the point... as Thomas has said on a message before the
important thing is that tests should be ran for keeping up the quality of the
final product (is not a "for making them compile" only discussion).

Getting the case to the extreme is like if you were saying that you don't want
kdelibs to compile because it takes too many time, and you want directly to
go to kdelibs... some kind of :) and you will say, yeah but kdelibs is
necessary !! it is as tests are.

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.