kdelibs (at least) : test building by default

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 09:40:50 BST 2007

2007/10/6, Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org>:
> Le samedi 6 octobre 2007, Rafael Fernández López a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think the subject is self-explanatory. Is there any opposed mind to
> > enable by default test building for kdelibs ? If so, speak up please.
> >
> > This will help if new stuff is added to not break the existing tests
> > because (oh, I forgot to build them...), and yes it says so who has broken
> > tests more than one time because of that... xD
>
> Tests take too much time to build, if they are anyway not ran.

That is *not* the point. Some people do build tests by default and for
these people, a unit test that doesn't compile means a module that
doesn't compile. Developers that don't build unit tests quite often
introduce compile breakers  for those that do build tests, and that
has to stop.
Technically it might be possible to make (c)make ignore errors
building the test as nothing depends on them. If you think through
what that would lead to you should see that that is also a bad idea.
Basically, those who create problems would not be those who suffer
from them, we'd have even more confusion and so on.
So, sane option: Always build unit tests and fail if they don't build.