kdelibs (at least) : test building by default

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Oct 6 04:14:59 BST 2007

On 06.10.07 04:54:18, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi,
>
> El Saturday 06 October 2007 03:36:41 David Jarvie escribió:
> > This is fine for those with fast machines, but as one not so lucky, I would
> > always have to remember to disable tests unless there's a specific reason.
>
> Tests are not *THAT* big, and they provide us a secure way of testing if some
> changes on libraries did break anything or not.
>
> Is not that you should disable it manually (that you could), is that you
> _should_ run those tests (not only make them compile with API changes) and
> see if any change of yours did break anything or not.

But _each_ test is relinked when a library likde kdecore or kdeui is
changed and we already have tons of tests. Enabling tests only for
kdevelop increases build+link time here by something between 50-100%.

So it is a considerable slowdown on development for people with slow
machines. I'm not saying though they shouldn't be enabled by default.

Andreas

--
Today is what happened to yesterday.