Desktop directory icons

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Oct 5 12:00:26 BST 2007

On Thursday 04 October 2007, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 03:05:34PM +0100, Robert Knight wrote:
> > In the Open With... dialog and in Kickoff before today, the icons for
> > the application categories ("Games","Education","Programming" etc.)
> > did not show up.  It seems that the KServiceGroup items are based on
> > the .desktop files in /usr/share/desktop-directories which I presume
> > shipped with my distribution (Kubuntu 7.04) and have somewhat odd icon
> > names (eg. the icon for the 'Games' group is 'gnome-joystick') which
> > do not match the names of the appropriate Oxygen icons (which I guess
> > are from the fd.o standard?)
> >
> > I temporarily worked around this by adding a map from the icon names
> > reported by the KServiceGroup items (which come from the
> > /usr/share/desktop-directory files) to the names of the appropriate
> > Oxygen icons.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the correct solution to this is?
>
> It's not clear what your setup is here.  I'm guessing its KDE 3 and
> it's self compiled and you have something of Ubuntu gnome installed in
> which case KDE will look for the XDG application menu in
> /etc/xdg/application.menu.  Since we can't overlap files, Kubuntu puts
> the KDE menu at /etc/xdg/kde-application.menu and uses this patch
> http://kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/43_hardcode_xdgMenuPrefix.diff

It should also work to use the original code and export the variable in
startkde, which IIRC it has to do anyway according to the menu spec

Or at least that's the intent, i.e. that applications access the menu
structure of the desktop session they are running in.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring