move ldap ioslave into kdepim(libs)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Oct 4 11:17:19 BST 2007

On Thursday 04 October 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday, 6. September 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
>
> > This has come up before.  I also suggested moving the smtp and pop3 slaves
> > to kdepimlibs.
>
> What is the point of the move? that means that the smtp and pop3 slaves will
> not be installed by default on a binary packaged distribution, as with
> kdepimlibs. Having kdepimlibs as a dependency of kdebase-runtime would have
> ensured this.

I thought you'd be happy about one dependency less :)
There's nothing in kdebase that needs smtp or pop3, so it seems very arbitrary to
make kdebase depend on that.

> Given that the move has already happened, this means that we don't have smtp
> and pop3 capabilities in a minimal desktop environment, as well as none of
> the other libraries in kdepimlibs being available.
Minimal means minimal :)
But distributors can always have a kde-desktop meta-package that includes
kdelibs + kdepimlibs + kdebase-* if they feel it should be there...
Compile-time dependency != what makes a minimal kde desktop.

If the libs in kdepimlibs should always always always be there then we might as
well put them in kdelibs. But I don't think that's the case. There's nothing in kdegames,
kdeutils, kdetoys, k3b, quanta, etc. etc. that needs any pim libs or ioslaves. So
better keep things modular IMHO, and allow people who don't need kdepimlibs to
not install it.