upcoming API changes

Tobias G. Pfeiffer tgpfeiffer at web.de
Tue Oct 2 23:24:49 BST 2007

Hi!

On Tuesday 02 October 2007, 01:51, Alex Merry wrote:
> What's happening with this?  Where I am, it's an hour past the API
> deadline.  We have a printing library that half-works, and is unlikely
> to get fixed before release.
> (...)
> Which probably leaves us with telling people to use QPrinter or expect
> problems, and have a bunch of code that won't work properly in 4.0, and
> may or may not be a huge maintenance burden (given the BC
> requirements), depending on how the Qt printing framework progresses
> and how easy it is to make kdeprint wrap it.

Not having dealt with the KPrinter source at all and not knowing much about
KDE class structure in general, I'd recommend to have applications use
QPrinter for 4.0.x.
If we cannot get something "working" done for 4.0, this might/will become - as
Alex stated - even harder to get something "good" done later on. I don't see
any alternative, looking at the lack of knowledge about and manpower to work
on the printing system.

Bye
Tobias

--