AW: [RFC] KConfig merge

Nhuh Put nhuh.put at web.de
Wed Oct 3 03:47:58 BST 2007

Hello
We tried very hard, but we couldn't get this ready for today.
The main problem is, that the header structure of the config classes is now
much clearer, which (they now only the things in the really nead, which is
much less hen before) leads to many compile errors all over the place.
There are also some small changes to KConfigGroup and the removal of
KConfigFlags. These problems are mostly very easy to fix, but as those
classes are used nearly everywhere it's still a huge amount of work. We
would do the porting a work in a branch and merge it back into trunk later.
We would probably need one or two days to fix everything.
I know, it's past the freeze date (or will be before we are ready), but this
would be a huge improvement over the current situation. As I already said,
the header structure is much clearer (kconfiggroup.h does currently include
kdebug.h for example) and the API is much clearer and easier to understand.
The Backend classes are largely separated from KConfig (no friend
declaration for every backend anymore) and the internal structure has much
improved. Also the API is prepared to handle different non-file config
backends and nested groups (which are partially implemented). Also the
arguments types for the read and write methods are now more consistent.

For those reasons, I would like to ask for an exception form the API freeze
for this patch, especially as this can't be done later in a BIC way.

The changes are in branches/work/kde4_kconfig/kconfig together with a patch
for kdelibs.

	PutHuhn