Fwd: Re: KDE & RDF

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Mon Oct 1 20:04:50 BST 2007

Hello,

Here we have our answer.

Is Amarok or any other application in KDEMultimedia in KDE 3.5 using
TRM? If the answer is yes, then we will certainly suffer a drawback in
functionality.

----- Forwarded message from rob at eorbit.net -----
     Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:56:52 -0700
     From: Robert Kaye <rob at eorbit.net>
  Subject: Re: KDE & RDF
       To: Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>
       Cc: info at musicbrainz.org, kde-devel at kde.org

On Oct 1, 2007, at 4:07 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As you may know, KDE (http://www.kde.org) is close to release a new
> major version (4.0) of the K Desktop Environment. Amongst the many
> applications which belong to KDE is Amarok, a very popular open
> source music player.
>
> The current version of Amarok (1.4.7), the latest available for KDE
> 3, is still using libtunepimp and RDF to access MusicBrainz
> information. Recently we have been informed MusicBrainz plans to
> remove RDF access (the only information I can find in your website
> is "we will certainly support RDF through 2007 but will remove it
> when we move to the new schema").

Well, there are two steps that are happing:

1. Decommission the TRM server (old style acoustic fingerprints),
which could happen in as little as about 90 days.
2. Decommission the RDF web service, which as you noted will happen
after NGS. But, NGS is still about a year or so away from being
complete.

You have some time, but if you're using TRMs then you need to switch
to PUIDs asap.

> As KDE 4.0 may take a while to be fully available in distributions
> (for instance, it will not be installed by default in the very
> popular Kubuntu distribution until October 2008; other
> distributions will certainly make it available by March-April by
> default), a discussion exploded between the ones who say we should
> invest our time in a new Amarok release for KDE 3, supporting the
> new webservices interface, and the ones who say "if it becomes
> broken, screw it".

Well, I'd really prefer it if Amarok didn't go the route of "screw
it". That's going to give us a lot of hassles and fuss I'd rather not
have. PUIDs have been out for 1.5 years and we've been making noise
that people need to switch. Its high time that Amarok switches!

> As your website does not clearly state when the RDF interface will
> be disabled, could you please tell me if you have any plans on this
> issue?

See above. :)

--

--ruaok      Somewhere in Texas a village is *still* missing its idiot.

Robert Kaye     --     rob at eorbit.net     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles