Behavior change in KPageDialog/KPageWidgetItem

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 11:24:56 BST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 12:16:30 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I had a quick look at kate's config dialogue, and I don't see immediately
> > why you think it isn't possible. Put simply, right now there's a two
> > level hierarchy, treebranches, treenodes (= pages). Only one config page
> > has more than one tab. Making the branches the top level items (i.e.
> > those that show up in the iconview on the left) and having the branches
> > as tabs makes sense to me.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. What I do know is that no widget should
> have more tabs than will fit it's natural size, that is, truncating tab
> titles or having scroll buttons on tabbars is a definite NO. If that is
> required (and that is how i understand your suggestion, two widget with
> LOTS of tabs), the tree is MUCH prefferable!!

You're referring to konqueror here or to kate? In konqueror's case, the thing
getting in the way is the filemanagement / browser settings distinction. Not
sure how to solve this in the best possible way.
In kate, it looks relatively straightforward from a quick glance.

> > There's also some reorganisation possible, based on the suggestions
> > in the HIG.
>
> Could you point me/us to a page in the HIG (other than the example for
> configuration dialogs mentioned earlier in this thread)?

Well, the HIG provides things such as "group things that belong to each other
together, and order them according to frequence of use" for example. How this
reorganisation should be implemented in this case is probably best answered
with a pencil and paper (maybe with a usability dude looking over your
shoulder).

--
sebas