Behavior change in KPageDialog/KPageWidgetItem

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 11:02:36 BST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 11:27:52 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2007, Adam Treat wrote:
> > Heh.  I've got your point.  A default widget to present will be fine.  In
> > fact, as sebas pointed out, treeview's are no longer recommended by our
> > HIG.   I'm going to see in the future about eliminating the treeview from
> > Kate altogether.
>
> Again, Kate shouldn't really be a KDE application, because it's
> configuration needs doesn't fit into the desire of KDE to become GNOME :S
>
> (joke aside, how do we create a configuration dialog that suits our needs
> without a tree view? we can't group all the configuration pages of katepart
> into tabs, nor those of kate...)

I had a quick look at kate's config dialogue, and I don't see immediately why
you think it isn't possible. Put simply, right now there's a two level
hierarchy, treebranches, treenodes (= pages). Only one config page has more
than one tab. Making the branches the top level items (i.e. those that show
up in the iconview on the left) and having the branches as tabs makes sense
to me. There's also some reorganisation possible, based on the suggestions in
the HIG. Konqueror is probably even more work, as its settings are more
complex (and it certainly doesn't help that it needs settings for
filemanagement *and* webbrowsing).

It takes a bit of work, and probably more than one iteration to get it right
(as in "user can find the relevant setting quickly" and "fits with other
constraints, such as screen size, consistency across the rest of KDE"), but I
do not doubt that the HIG provides very good guidelines for designing such a
dialogue. It's not like the "old / current" dialogues stand out in terms of
ease of use (neither konqueror's nor kate's). :>

If you really think that a treeview is ok there, there's probably something
wrong with those guidelines, and that should be fixed. I don't think changing
it for one application is the good way though, that gives us consistency
issues across applications. As Matthias says,  the right place to discuss the
HIG is probably the usability list, and the people there do need of people
who can do meaningful work on it. "KDE wants to become GNOME" is probably not
good enough as input, though. :P

Otherwise, I'd say that those guidelines should be seen as valuable input, and
followed where they're explicit enough in their current version.
--
sebas