Showstoppers, was: Re: Fwd: Re: Release Mode

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Nov 28 09:28:22 GMT 2007

On Wednesday, 28. November 2007, Hiếu Hoàng wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 3:33 AM, Jakob Petsovits <jpetso at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Supercool, thanks a lot! That, combined with my own checkout of kdelibs,
> > kdebase and kdevelop[-platform] should make for a nice starting ground
> > already.
>
>  I forgot to ask, can you tell us how to replace those ocurrence, so
> that you don't have to check them out.

Sure!
It's actually pretty easy as there are mainly two usages of "edit" strings:

a)
>   ./okteta/program/oktetaui.rc:24:  <Menu name="edit">
>   ./okteta/parts/kpart/oktetapartui.rc:4:  <Menu name="edit">

This one, and several other possible usages in the code itself (rather than in
*ui.rc files like these) describe action names, not icons. The "edit" here is
something which is purely referenced by the code and is not user visible,
subsequently it should not (...must not) be changed.

b)
Everything that looks like KIcon("edit"), SmallIcon("edit") or something
similar is a usage of the "edit" icon, and the "edit" there needs to be
replaced by "object-edit". The vast majority of porting work is replacing
strings inside such KIcon and SmallIcon invocations.

Also, at least in playground there seem to be some applications which have not
yet been ported to KDE 4 and use the old KAction constructor
("new KAction(...)" with more than 3 parameters), and its second argument also
takes an icon name, even without wrapping an icon constructor around it. So,
stuff like

m_editAction = new KAction(i18n("&Edit..."), "edit", KShortcut(), this,
SLOT(slotEditAction()), actionCollection(), "bookmark_edit2");

also needs to have the "edit" replaced by "object-edit". Note that it's
important not to change the action names, which would be "bookmark_edit2" in
this example.

There might be special cases like the way icons are handled in Amarok (they
reference icons indirectly by means of an icon map), those cases need
personal judgement and intimacy with the code. (The Amarok icons have been
taken care of by myself, no need to change occurrences of Amarok::icon(...).)

That's it, whoever wants to chime in is heartily invited :)

Thanks for your help,
  Jakob