Proposal of a crossdesktop interface to query several properties about the state-of-the-desktop

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Nov 27 18:58:50 GMT 2007

Em Tuesday 27 November 2007 00:17:42 Lubos Lunak escreveu:
>  As the name suggests, XSettings is for settings - stuff, that's otherwise
> written e.g. in config files (and for that you probably want to use X
> rather than D-BUS). Most of the KGlobalSettings stuff fits there quite well
> - mouse settings, colors, fonts, etc. I remember somebody posting XSettings
> support patches for Qt somewhen in the past.
>
>  But I'm not sure if the functions proposed in the mail should go to
> XSettings - functions like away(), fullScreenBusy() or
> shouldConserveResources() are not settings but rather temporary state.

I would say that a kded module that queries XSettings on X11 and returns the
configuration/state via D-Bus to KDE applications is more interesting. On
other platforms, those settings wouldn't be stored in XSettings, so the
module would have to convert from the format used there.

But, come to think of it, D-Bus is completely unnecessary there. Just make
KGlobalSettings or KDesktopSettings have _mac.cpp and _win.cpp files. It
avoids the extra roundtrip.

>  WRT D-BUS interfaces, does somebody know how well it works over the
> network, if at all?

Nitpick: D-Bus.

It works just fine over the network. It's unencrypted, unauthenticated and
there's no default bus over the network. You have to create your own code
using libdbus-1 directly to open a DBusServer on a TCP socket and connect to
it, or modify your dbus-daemon configuration to listen on a TCP port.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358