Proposal of a crossdesktop interface to query several properties about the state-of-the-desktop

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Nov 26 23:17:42 GMT 2007

On po 26. listopadu 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 26 November 2007, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > * Write a useful-and-reasonable D-Bus interface and propose it as a draft
> > for a freedesktop.org standard, using their mailing lists.
> >
> > * Write a deamon (shall this be just for KDE or crossdesktop?)
> > implementing those features.
>
> the daemon should be provided by the desktop in question and take the d-bus
> interface when started. we'd ship one probably as a kded component.
>
> there's also XSettings which has intended to do much the same sort of thing
> but using X itself rather than d-bus. perhaps its worth looking into.

 As the name suggests, XSettings is for settings - stuff, that's otherwise
written e.g. in config files (and for that you probably want to use X rather
than D-BUS). Most of the KGlobalSettings stuff fits there quite well - mouse
settings, colors, fonts, etc. I remember somebody posting XSettings support
patches for Qt somewhen in the past.

 But I'm not sure if the functions proposed in the mail should go to
XSettings - functions like away(), fullScreenBusy() or
shouldConserveResources() are not settings but rather temporary state.

 WRT D-BUS interfaces, does somebody know how well it works over the network,
if at all?

> > - bool fullScreenBusy() const;
> >
> > This could help Plasma to know whether to start the screensaver or not
> > for example, or the inverted situation, in which a user is running
> > Kaffeine on gnome.

 I seem to remember a discussion on the xdg list about specific support for
this, but I don't remember the outcome (probably none, given this).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz