My Computer

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Tue Nov 27 13:04:05 GMT 2007

I'll say that "My Computer" *feels* to me horribly inadequate, almost an
insult to underlying platform's multiuser nature in general and KDE's
network transparency in particular. Likewise, any of the (seriously)
proposed alternatives in this thread feels better, with those *not*
mentioning the word "computer" best.

> [: Stephan Kulow :]
> [...] Allen suggests that Goo is better than "My computer" without any
> data at hand and then my presentation is not scientific enough - sure!

But I wouldn't add to the paint job, if just for it. I'm more concerned
about what seems to me a sort of misunderstanding regarding the experimental
data presented.

Yes, I also didn't find any trace of this particular issue in the slides,
but the string is a part of the solutions tested there. With "My Computer",
the results are as they are; if another name would be used, we can only
speculate how it would influence the whole -- perhaps it would do nothing to
the numbers in the slides, perhaps it would improve them, but perhaps it
would crash and burn them :) Thus, so long as one is not willing to risk it,
"My Computer" is a tested alternative -- along the lines of the local saying
here, "better a sparrow in the hand, than a pigeon on the branch"...

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)