Proposal of a crossdesktop interface to query several properties about the state-of-the-desktop

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Nov 26 22:36:23 GMT 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007, Eduardo Robles Elvira wrote:
>  I think that given DBUS as a common protocol,
> this is just one step more: standarizing the interfaces, and take advantage
> of them to the max.

Yes - I have seen proposals on xdg at lists.freedesktop.org about dbus interfaces
for the kind of things being discussed here
(and a mail where coolo said he was working on a screensaver-related one).

So even before the "Write a useful-and-reasonable D-Bus interface" step,
I would strongly recommend reading the archives of the xdg list to find what
interfaces have -already- been proposed there (often without much comments
since we're only looking at this topic now :). If you come forward with your own
interface and propose it, while someone has already proposed one (and possibly
implemented it), then so much for standardization; we end up with two where
there should be only one.