Using StyleSheets is bad WAS Re: Konqueror lineedit Bug

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 26 19:35:33 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> year ago. Is it really that strange the commit for the workaround had "I
> hate the idiotic useless qt-bugs@ blackhole." as the message?

it's understandable. i'm just trying to make it so that we don't feel the need
to say such things at some point in the future because they won't be
necessary to say. sadly, there are apparently very, very few people in the
kde community who feel motivated to try and make that happen. probably
through years of disconnect between TT and KDE people, such as yourself, have
decided it's unfixable.

thankfully, it's not. it just takes being in the right places. please support
those of us who are doing that. it's not easy at the best of times, i really
don't need to be dragging the community kicking and screaming at the same
time.

see, i get the problems. i've lived them, just as you have. i don't like them,
in fact i despise them. i consider them bugs in the process that need to be
fixed. problem is that for years the TT<->KDE relationship had no real
maintainer; it was just a loosely contributed to and not really tended
product.

viewed in those terms, the solution is: have some maintainers, fix the bugs
and support that process.

> consider Qt bugs reporting as a fire-and-forget thing. It's TT's turn now.

on the topic of the bug tracker, which i agree is related and part of the
issue: yes, it could certainly be better. i wish it was too. and yes, TT also
has a lot of work to do when it comes to making things work better. my point,
so that it doesn't get lost in all this, is that it requires a bit of effort
from both sides and right now we are managing to shoot ourselves in the foot
quite frequently with the current negative attitude.

you seem to be saying, "but that negativity is deserved!" i'm not going to
argue that at all; i do notice, however, that deserved or not, that attitude
hurts us in very real ways.

so we're looking for ways to fix the causes of the negative feelings.
admitedly it's an incremental, slow and not always a forward momentum
process. but during that process, let's try and engage with the fixes as they
appear (e.g. having Simon and Benjamin here on this list) and temper our
frustrations with realism, which includes the improvements that *are*
happening.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se