My Computer

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:27:36 GMT 2007

Am Montag 26 November 2007 12:08:12 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> On Monday 26. November 2007 11:52:43 Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > Usability tests are probably a lot more useful if you only present
> > options that are not similar to Windows.
>
> The goal is to create a system that works best for people, and recognizing
> certain terminology certainly helps.

Well, "you can't be better without being different". Internal consistency and
good style (especially good style) are IMHO more important than similarity to
what people already know.

> Recognizing something because Windows has been doing it for some reason is
> something that helps people.  And that helps make our system more usable
> for all people.
> Fighting that just to be different is not our goal.  I hope its not yours.

No, I just never liked the "My" thing. If we could have Windows's sound and
video codec infrastructure that it has had since about 3.11 I'd appreciate
that. In the free software world this kind of binary pluggability is not that
important fortunately, and we are going to have Phonon...
Oh, and Vista dropped the "My".

> It also sounds like we should do another life usability test at akademy
> next year to give everyone a good insight of what its for and what it
> actually tests.

That would help a lot.

*clicks on "send My email"*