My Computer

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Nov 25 17:57:27 GMT 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Dimanche 25 Novembre 2007 17:16, Daniel Molkentin a écrit :
> > Am Sonntag, 25. November 2007 schrieb Stefan Monov:
> > > Note that openSUSE 10.3 uses the string "Computer", which I prefer to
> > > "My Computer", and so does Microsoft if you have a look at Vista.
> > >
> > > So. @Allen: is "Computer" OK with you?
> >
> > Either that, or
> >
> > "This Computer" (probably better)
>
> I think it sounds good too... and it conveys the same information than
> "My" (ie. the locality trait)

I never liked "My computer" in Windows.
"This computer" isn't much better.
I mean, in most cases the user is sitting in front of this computer. I would
ask myself, ok, what's up with "this computer" ? It is standing under my
desk, so what more do they want to tell me ? I think what's missing is what
information/which actions about "this computer" will be presented.
Status information about this computer ?
Resources available on this computer ?
Mounted filesystems, attached devices, remote locations available on this
computer ?

"this/my computer" is too generic. It doesn't say anything, only that it
contains something which has in some way to do with this computer (and
actually this is true for *everything* which happens on this computer).

If Gnome uses "Places", how about using the same ?

Alex