kde vs. locales

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Sun Nov 25 13:01:00 GMT 2007

On Sonntag 25 November 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 05:07:21AM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > >about the above problem, do you think we should simply ignore it and
> > >drop support for "hot switching"? gnome seems to do without, anyway.
>
> ok, seems like nobody cares for this problem. :)

Why?  AFAICS, your proposal would also work with an ~/.i18n script.  In the
same way that you proposed for the kcm to read that file, other KDE programs
(i.e. kdeinit) could re-read that file if it changed, and/or broadcast the
changes.

/me thinks that someone must already have proposed a dbus-API for broadcasting
language changes, no?  Sounds like a freedesktop task.  It's not a very
commonly used feature, but it comes up again and again; I bet this is not
only the case for KDE.

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.