[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 19:02:39 GMT 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 10:14 AM, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Donnerstag 22 November 2007, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > As an usecase for them, the first example which comes to my mind might be a
> > wizard, which has to do a kio job when switching from page n to page n+1.
> > When the user clicks on "next", before switching page a sheet slides down,
> > and instead of the so annoying popup, all is done in the same window... and
> > you get on the other page when the job has finished.
> >
> > Really, look at them in action, and you'll understand much better the
> > concept behind them. =)
>
> I get the feeling that it would be nice if you could mention some specific
> OS X applications/windows where sheets are used in a way you like.
>
> Are sheets always within a window?  Or never?  I saw also "sheets"(?) that
> slide out at the side of an image viewer, showing multiple thumbnails IIRC.
> Are these also called sheets?  When would you use which?

You're most likely referring to that sidebar apple invented (or at
least used a lot) some time ago, which slides out of the side of an
application.

The sheets they're talking about are as far as I can tell just a way
of displaying modal dialogs - they slide out of the app, just below
the toolbar, and they stay connected to it. A nice visual
representation - they're closely connected. But, as Lubos already
pointed out, you can't move them out of the way if you want to see
something below them - a real drawback. Their advantage, on the other
hand, is just that they stay with the window and are visually more
connected to it - slightly easier to grasp, I guess.