Showstoppers, was: Re: Fwd: Re: Release Mode

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Nov 24 11:59:38 GMT 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 23 November 2007 18:38:27 Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > On Friday 23 November 2007, Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
> > > - Phonon, short oggs with libxine (1) (mkretz)
> > >
> > > (1) A hideous ugly workaround is to use wav files for systemsounds,
> > > but that   doesn't make listening to your ogg colletion any more fun.
> >
> > Bad news. I believe the wav support in xinelib is as bad as the ogg
> > support. But for ogg at least I have a 90% working patch. I'm now going
> > to try and integrate the patch into what should become xinelib 1.1.9.

My patches are in. Please help to test it. You can get it with
% hg clone http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xine-lib
% cd xine-lib
% ./autogen.sh --help
% ./configure <whatever switches you need>
% make debug
% make install-debug

> > But I've tested mp3s. They work perfectly. So it's not a xine framework
> > problem. Just bad support for free formats. :'(
>
> In the meantime; would it be an idea to use ogg123 (or its libs) directly?

As a last resort we could use ogg123 as external player for knotify4 per
default.

> i.e. write a very very simple phonon backend that can only playback oggs.

You'd need to integrate it with the phonon-xine backend. There's currently no
support for loading different backends depending on what the application
wants.

I think that would be more work than to fix the problem in xine.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de