kde3/kde4 co-installability again

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Nov 23 21:22:58 GMT 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 08:43:43PM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2007-11-23, Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi at kde.org> wrote:
> > as a result of the kdesu discussion, i stumbled over a tiny detail: we
> > still have some conflicts
> >
> > in runtime:
> > - kdesu (of course ...)
>
> Is this including kdesud in all regards backwards compatible ?

right, i wanted to check that ...
kdesud goes into libexec.
the command line of kdesu is compatible.
libkdesu complicates things, though: it has some client code for kdesud.
so if some kde3 app uses KDEsuClient, it would pick up the wrong kdesud.
the worst thing that could happen is that the two versions wouldn't talk
with each other, i.e., the user has to enter the root password for kde3
and kde4 admin tools separately. but as of now, the daemons are
completely compatible and talk via the same socket (just guessing here
from a quick skim), so it doesn't matter which daemon is started and
both do the same.

> > in kdelibs:
> > - checkXML
> > - preparetips
>
> Isn't this -dev stuff and can by distros moved away into the same place
> as the .so symlinks and the headers.

now that you say it ... most probably yes.

> > - packaged installs can use a distro's alternatives system to use the
> >   newer version.
>
> alternatives systems can only be used if it is both ways compatible.

isn't it possible to define not overridable priorities?

> > on a more or less related note, i'm wondering why kdialog is in apps? it
> > sure can be considered a runtime requirement for 3rd party scripts?
>
> is kdialog used by applications in general for this?

well, i wouldn't know what else it would be good for. but maybe someone
else knows.