[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Nov 22 15:08:30 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 of November 2007, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On Friday 09 November 2007 17:21:38 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Where exactly is the absolutely killer feature I don't see?
>
> What, visual differences aren't killer features anymore? What is all the
> Plasma and Oxygen stuff about then? ;-)

 I don't consider a visual difference done just for the sake of a visual
difference a killer feature, not even close (well, depends on the meaning of
killer, too). I don't see what should be so cool about doing things
differently just because one can.

> Seriously, what is also the big feature, probably just visually, is that
> the window is not perceived as being one: it does not have a entry in the
> titlebar

 Taskbar? Modal dialogs in KDE don't (shouldn't) have taskbar entries.

> , it's is *sticked* to the main window

 Which may be a problem if you happen to need to look at something in the main
window.

> ... meaning that when the
> window minimizes the sheet does also, when the window moves the sheet
> smoothly remain at its place...It's not really the same thing that we have
> now.

 But we can, it's as simple as somebody adding both of these to KWin.

> They can also automatically disappear if showing e.g. a progressbar.

 A sheet, i.e. a modal dialog, disappearing just because a progressbar shows?
I must be misunderstanding this.

> Also, there cannot be more than one sheet piling toghether at a time...

 I suppose this has nothing to do with the visual appearance or the other
features.

> In the end it's different, we don't have such a thing yet, not even a
> similar one. =)

 Besides a modal dialog?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz