[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Thu Nov 22 12:50:09 GMT 2007

On Friday 09 November 2007 17:21:38 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIG
> >ui
> > delines/XHIGWindows/chapter_17_section_6.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/2000096
> >1-T PXREF11
>
>  I must be missing something, because I fail to see the difference:
> - it's modal - we have modal dialogs
> - it's attached to a specific window - dialogs are attached to their
> specified mainwindow
> - "Mac OX X layering model" - if I'm getting it right that this is just a
> name for keeping the dialog together with the window in the stacking order,
> then we have that
> - it doesn't have a titlebar - visual difference
> - it slides in - visual difference
> - "Sheets also allow users to perform other tasks before dismissing the
> dialog, with no sense of the system being “hijacked” by the application." -
> oh boy, that is from an old HIG version, right?
>
>  Where exactly is the absolutely killer feature I don't see?

What, visual differences aren't killer features anymore? What is all the
Plasma and Oxygen stuff about then? ;-)

Seriously, what is also the big feature, probably just visually, is that the
window is not perceived as being one: it does not have a entry in the
titlebar, it's is *sticked* to the main window... meaning that when the
window minimizes the sheet does also, when the window moves the sheet
smoothly remain at its place...It's not really the same thing that we have
now. They can also automatically disappear if showing e.g. a progressbar.
Also, there cannot be more than one sheet piling toghether at a time...

In the end it's different, we don't have such a thing yet, not even a similar
one. =)

If you want another example it might be similar to some modal dialogs there
are in some web 2.0 apps... that's probably the best way I can explain it...
if you want to figure out better, please try out a mac into a near computer
reseller. ;-)

Bye,
-Riccardo
--