Using StyleSheets is bad WAS Re: Konqueror lineedit Bug

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Nov 20 20:00:12 GMT 2007

A Dimarts 20 Novembre 2007, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:
> On Monday 19 November 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > So here is a real solution based on Fredrik suggestion.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> hm ... so instead of getting CSS issues addressed up stream (Girish has
> been *very* responsive)

I'm beginning to be fed up of this "Trolltech employee trend" telling us to
not do anything because Qt is going to do it for us, but not now, just in an
uncertain future.

Girish is probably *very* responsive to you, probably you even have his phone
number and can phone him directly, but if *I* mail qt-bugs about this issue
all i will get is "This is the documented behaviour, it is you acting bad".

Even in the case they accept it to be a thing that should not happen it'll be
a wish which will probably make it be "fixed" on Qt 4.4, 4.5 or never. That
means KDE 4.x will have that bug until TrollTech decides to fix this, and
given the severity of the bug, i think this is totally unacceptable.

> and/or fixing things with 10 line patches, we're
> going to end up writing custom proxy styles for everything we want to do?

It *IS* a 10 line patch, if you don't count the proxy that actually is dumb
code.

So, can we have this patch in for KDE 4.0 so things actually work or should we
just pray for uncle TT to be good and fix it fast?

BTW, in case stylesheets get "fixed" in the future, i'll be happy to remove
it, actually i just was on "Release Mode" as Sebas suggested.

> i understand that probably feels much more hard core and therefore makes one
> feel good .. but, it seems to me that addressing these issues upstream or
> patching things properly seems a lot more ... sane.

That sentence reads like a personal attack, i won't answer in the good faith
that via mail things always end up different that what you wanted to write.

> maybe that's just me though.
>
> > P.S: KdeUiProxySyle is the same as KonqProxyStyle, a candidate for KDE
> > 4.1 inclusion? His code is GPLv2+ in KonqProxyStyle but as it is really
> > trivial i don't think he might have a problem relicensing.
>
> should be KdeUiProxyS*t*yle, right? =)

Yes.

Albert