kdesu

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 18 20:32:48 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 November 2007, John Tapsell wrote:
> > >   Can we have a class 'kdesu'  that lets you use kdesu simply?  So
> > > just move most of the code in kdebase/runtime/kdesu  into a class in
> > > kdelibs/kdesu.
> > >   So then apps can do:    KDESu::RunCommand("ls");      or something
> > > similar.
> >
> > What about this one?
> > http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdesu/html/classKDESu_1_1KDEsu
> >Client.html#9e63e4ee2d380f2d907bbcdd03ea7cb2 Did you try it? Is the kdesu
> > lib actually used anywhere?
>
> That does not pop up a gui or anything asking the user for the
> password.  It works only if it already knows the password.

we have KPasswordDialog for this. it does mean that one needs to check if the
password is known, if not popup the dialog, use it with KDEsuClient, etc ...
it might be nice to add a class to kdesu that does all that for you and which
uses kwallet for the stored password checking?

> > "`kde4-config --path libexec`kdesu"
>
> Ah cool.
>
> Maybe we could have a bash script called 'kdesu' which does the above
> command, passing in the parameters?  So that we don't break current
> scripts that rely on kdesu existing?.

that would make sense imho.

--
Aaron J. Seigo