kdesu

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 20:03:02 GMT 2007

> >   Can we have a class 'kdesu'  that lets you use kdesu simply?  So
> > just move most of the code in kdebase/runtime/kdesu  into a class in
> > kdelibs/kdesu.
> >   So then apps can do:    KDESu::RunCommand("ls");      or something
> > similar.
>
> What about this one?
> http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdesu/html/classKDESu_1_1KDEsuClient.html#9e63e4ee2d380f2d907bbcdd03ea7cb2
> Did you try it? Is the kdesu lib actually used anywhere?

That does not pop up a gui or anything asking the user for the
password.  It works only if it already knows the password.

> >   Also, in kde4 it seems difficult for bash scripts to run kdesu now,
> > because it's a libexec program.  In a bash script, how should a
> > program run a libexec program?
>
> "`kde4-config --path libexec`kdesu"

Ah cool.

Maybe we could have a bash script called 'kdesu' which does the above
command, passing in the parameters?  So that we don't break current
scripts that rely on kdesu existing?.

John