kwin default window button order.

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Fri Nov 16 21:53:29 GMT 2007

On Friday 16 November 2007 19:32:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 16 November 2007, Martin Koller wrote:
> > On Friday 16 November 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > - people are used to B, and others have B  (well, A actually, but
> > > anyway)
> >
> > I think it is also important to keep it that way (A or better B) as
> > otherwise there is another argument not switching to an OSS platform (you
> > know those people always complaining: "It's so different, ergo harder to
> > learn" ...)
>
> this is, imho, a red herring. while we should not be different for
> different's sake, we should also be better. making a clone or chasing tail
> lights will get us not very far and improvements are a good thing. window
> button order improvements are not something that will chase people away.
I've no idea about button order, but dialog button order doesn't seem to have
anything whatsoever to do with how the buttons on windows are arranged.
Neither my conscious mind or muscle memory makes any association between the
two.

I notice I have 'minimize' and 'maximize' controls when the window is small,
and 'minimize' and 'restore' when the window is big. This is on KDE3. But if
the window can only have two mutually exclusive states, why are there two
buttons with confusing names to select one of the two states?.

-- Richard