[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 8 21:21:26 GMT 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > Macs are quite rare in these parts. But I've heard they're known for
> > having a very consistent interface.
>
> Apple wrote a very strict HIG for the Mac, which it now continually
> breaks.  (No, I don't know the details, I just know I've read about how
> iTunes, iPhoto, and most of the other multimedia apps all break their
> own HIG.)

for the curious, there are three reasons i've noticed for this:

- their HIG seems to be constantly evolving internally, even though they keep
the external document fairly rigid

- they seem to realize that usability does not trump everything all the time,
no exceptions. it only trumps nearly everything almost all the time; but
sometimes you want to take look, feel, external product continuity (e.g. iPod
+ software) and even marketing[1] into account.

- they sometimes release an app, then later update their internal user
interface rules and don't get a chance right away to go back and update older
stuff, so inconsistencies start to pile up over time (so i guess this is
related to the first point)

[1] we probably can avoid most marketting concerns from entering into our
technical decisions, i hope. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se