[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Nov 7 23:03:17 GMT 2007

On st 7. listopadu 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > i hope the above helps explain why this would be a step backwards.
> > > though i suppose that's predicated on people actualy agreeing with the
> > > above ;)
> >
> >  Actually, I have this step "backwards" somewhere in my TODO. I hope when
> > KRunner is so flexible that it can use SVG it can be also flexible enough
> > to look like a normal dialog (which it is, to me, and I prefer being
> > consistent to being cool)?
>
> if you think this is only about looking cool, you missed the content of my
> previous emails.

 Which part, the one claiming that a dialog that appears usually only for a
short while doesn't need decorations because if people actually do need them
they use it unusually, or the one claiming that a system dialog should look
unusually to make it obvious that it's unusual?

 Also, "only shown as long as a given action is being prepared or performed"
either does not apply to minicli or applies to quite many things, depending
on the interpretation, and "is shown specifically to aid in the completion of
that action or task" is true for every dialog, not just minicli.

> while i appreciate contribution and efforts, i really don't appreciate
> people screwing things up based on ideas that simply don't belong. i'm
> already dealing with enough of that crap in plasma.
>
> e.g. wonder why the clock in the panel doesn't line up properly on second
> start? yep.

 No. I wonder what a wrong position of the clock has to do with minicli.

> so you can remove this item from your TODO. or ... fork krunner for all i
> care, i guess. it's free software, enjoy.

 Oh, so we're to fork basic components just in order to get normal widgets and
normal borders on them? That's a) rather ridiculous, b) not necessary - I can
force the borders on with KWin, and assuming the SVG theming is there in
order to actually allow theming, I can also theme it back to normal.

 Hmm, which, thinking of it, means there's no need to continue this
discussion, problem solved, case closed. Does fixing KRunner's possible
insufficient theming support also require forking?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz