[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:22:54 GMT 2007

Il Wednesday 07 November 2007 22:46:03 Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > Il Wednesday 07 November 2007 21:22:02 Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> > Does the Alt+F2 dialog have to be a blocking window? It may be useful to
> > make it go to the background or move it around (maybe to select some text
> > to paste in there).
>
> you're creating a straw man here; nobody said it had to be blocking.
> however, you may have noticed that even in kde3 it was "stay on top".

It was not my intention. It's just that your comment made me wonder if that
was actually needed. Yes I noticed that KDE 3 also does this -- just
recently, has it been so all the time? I think something changed along the
way... for example I think I could click return to dismiss the dialog once.

The behaviour can be changed either temporarily with the kwin menu, or through
kwin ad hoc window settings. Sending the window to the back can be useful,
and I see no harm in that, especially since it can be brought up again with
the same Alt+F2 shortcut, with the typed-in text already there.
But well, I've not needed that in one year or more, so I don't have a great
case there.

> > It's OK to have undecorated menus... Even the logout panel.
> >
> > Maybe most of the time I just need to type two characters, arrow down and
> > enter to launch my application, but at times I need to move it around. So
> > for me the KDE4 "runner" is a step backwards compared to what KDE 3
> > provided.
>
> what is missing in current svn for you exactly? because you can move it, it
> has autocomplete (though once i swap out the lineedit for a combo it'll be
> even nicer)

I can't test it at the moment -- I'll have to check it again this weekend.
The fact that it could not be easily moved was my biggest gripe.

> > I tried it again with the debian live image a few days ago -- is the
> > artwork the final one?
>
> of course not. maybe i should edit all the non-final artwork pieces and put
> a "SAMPLE" text in red on them in inkscape so people stop asking me about
> this. ;)

That could help. :)
But it's been like that for so long, that I began to worry. And I actually
preferred the plain window look of the KDE 3 version -- sorry if I repeat
myself. Ruphy has shown me a different "black" version some time ago, that I
find even worse... of course that too was unfinished work.

> > I'd also like a plainer look,
>
> a bit of history: that svg was done in about 5 minutes where the artist
> grabbed the icon art they were working on at the time in inkscape and threw
> it on a background and emailed it to me. =) the icon thing in the
> background is horrific, and we all knew that.
>
> > but I've been said it can be customized...
>
> that's the point of using svg in this case, yes.
>
> > Transient notifications are OK, for me: they get out of the way by
> > themselves. As long as they don't pop up too often. Otherwise, I'd prefer
> > notifications to be grouped...
>
> we'll get to that eventually....

This is good to know.

> > Maybe, for very simple tasks you are right. But I know I'm not happy with
> > the new runner at all. And I'm not the only one, since the click-to-move
> > feature has been proposed as a workaround...
>
> erm, the issue was not "does it need a window border" the issue was "i want
> to be able to move it easily". the former is a possible solution, but the
> latter was the problem.

Sure.