[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 7 20:52:15 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> "short lived transient interfaces not from the user's POV directly
> associated with a given application which show primarily interim
> information tangential to the actual task may opt for a non-invasive top
> level window without decorations"
>
> Say that five times fast.

point taken. let me try again without a run on sentence full of jargon.

if an interface is:

- only shown as long as a given action is being prepared or performed
- is shown specifically to aid in the completion of that action or task
- is not part of an application that is typically launched explicitly[2] by
the user  (e.g. it appears to be part of the "desktop infrastructure" to the
user)[1]
- or is a notification of an event that needs to appear outside the
application's normal window (e.g. the mainwindow if there is one)

then one may consider using a top level window without decorations.

[1] for items that fail this point but meet the first two, a window overlay
(amarok, dolphin, pixie4 and others do this), a toolbox window or traditional
dialog is more appropriate

[2] this does not mean that the user does not initially turn on the feature.
but once started, it should be self-maintained across sessions. yakuake, the
volume control and amarok's OSD are examples of this "turn on, then forget
because it's infrastructure" type of functionality.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se