[patch] workaround customised toolbar reset

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Mon Nov 5 19:58:58 GMT 2007

Am Montag, 5. November 2007 schrieb David Faure:
> > I'm reposting the workaround patch to make user changes to toolbars
> > stick. It's temporary but way better than the current situation.
>
> Better? Really?
> This would mean that any new menu item in a kde application will not appear
> to the users anymore. I strongly object to this patch.

The current implementation annihilates users' efforts -> dataloss. Dataloss
bugs are severe by definition.

However, not spotting new menu items is actually no problem at all. You don't
know about them therefore you cannot miss them -> no perceived defect.

Additionally, the KDE 4 targeted you-are-your-user-users are not affected by
this kind of workaround at all as they are inable to customise toolbars. The
you-are-not-your-user-users don't know about new menu items and therefore
don't miss them. Only developers know about new items in their apps. However,
they know how to either reset the toolbar settings or to manually merge the
xmlgui and they will be aware of the consequences.

Therefore I consider the workaround to be the lesser evil.

[...]

mfg
	Leo