libkdeprint

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 11:14:53 GMT 2007

On Saturday 03 Nov 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> John Layt wrote:
> >>
> >> I think you may be right.  It's a single file, and reasonably
> >> straightforward.  Currently, it uses dcop (which is no more) to
> >> ask kdeprintd (which is no more) for the CUPS password in case it
> >> is needed.  Other than that, it's just a simple command line
> >> utility to send stuff to cups.
> >>
> >> playground/base/kdeprint/libkdeprint/cups/cupsdoprint.c
> >>
> >> Alex
> >
> > I had thought about that, but it then adds a compile time
> > dependency on CUPS for every app that includes it, and each app
> > would have to name it something different to prevent install
> > clashes.
>
> I don't understand that argument. If you had a "kdedoprint" utility,
> why would you have to include that in every app?

Because we're not adding this support in kdelibs (because that would tie
us to binary compatibility, and there are issues with this not being
cross-platform).  So we have to add it in every application, which
means every application would have to provide its own version of
kdedoprint.

The only other option would be to have it in kdebase/runtime, I guess.

> > Besides, we wouldn't get any extra
> > features over using lp/lpr,
>
> I think we would. At least, we wouldn't need to care about "is either
> 'lp' or 'lpr' installed? and if so, is it the right one for CUPS?"

We'd still have to do a build-time check and a run-time check, though.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org
Ubuntu/Kubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.org http://www.kubuntu.org