libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Nov 3 18:32:55 GMT 2007

John Layt wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007, Alex Merry wrote:
>> On Saturday 03 Nov 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>>> I still think it is better to use something like "cupsdoprint" in
>>> KDE3 than directly using the commandline print commands.
>> I think you may be right.  It's a single file, and reasonably
>> straightforward.  Currently, it uses dcop (which is no more) to ask
>> kdeprintd (which is no more) for the CUPS password in case it is
>> needed.  Other than that, it's just a simple command line utility to
>> send stuff to cups.
>>
>> playground/base/kdeprint/libkdeprint/cups/cupsdoprint.c
>>
>> Alex
>
> I had thought about that, but it then adds a compile time dependency on CUPS
> for every app that includes it, and each app would have to name it something
> different to prevent install clashes.

I don't understand that argument. If you had a "kdedoprint" utility,
why would you have to include that in every app?

> I wasn't sure the maintainers or
> packagers would be too happy about that.

If there was this utility, you'd just require to install it once if
the user wants printing functionality from KDE apps that need it as
a "fileprinter".

> Besides, we wouldn't get any extra
> features over using lp/lpr,

I think we would. At least, we wouldn't need to care about "is either
'lp' or 'lpr' installed? and if so, is it the right one for CUPS?"

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS