Documentation issues for KDE 4

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 31 20:57:59 BST 2007

Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:

> On Thursday 31 May 2007 00:24:46 Philip Rodrigues wrote:
>> The current method of indexing and searching the docs in khelpcenter
>> (htdig) is not very reliable, so for KDE 4 we should use strigi. It
>> already has tools in place for indexing XML, so the indexing part should
>> be fairly straightforward. I plan to look into this.
> So the (silly) question about index will be gone? :)
>> Will Stephenson is planning on looking into the searching frontend in
>> khelpcenter.
> Yes!
>
>>* Some Qt Assistant-like features would be nice, like
>> bookmarks and breadcrumb-type history.
> Wouldn't oKular be the solution?

Does it have these sort of features? If so, maybe this would be an
interesting way of coming at the problem: turning okular (or a "fork" of
it) into a help-viewing application, rather than pulling khelpcenter in
that direction. Could any okular and/or khelpcenter developers comment?
Good idea, or am I just talking nonsense?

>> * Joshua Keel will get in touch with the usability folks about getting a
>> general usability review of KHC.
> PDF generation integrated in KHelpCenter? Meaning users could generate
> PDFs for themselves.

Basically, the situation so far is that I can generate PDFs from DocBook on
my machine, and so can docs.kde.org (take a look at the output there). I
imagine we'd treat PDF versions of the documentation in the same way as the
HTML versions - generated at compile time, and then accessed via
khelpcenter. I haven't really thought about it much though, so any other
ideas are welcome :-).

Regards,
Philip