Documentation issues for KDE 4

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Thu May 31 11:25:46 BST 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 23:24, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> 2. Whatsthis help redesign
> 	Joshua Keel is working on this as part of SoC. We can use strigi
indexing of
> the docbook to provide a "gui text" -> "where it's documented" mapping.
> eg, you can ask "Where is the gui element 'attach file' for application
kmail
> documented?" and get the result from strigi.

The biggest documentation/help lack which I'd love to see remedied is to
be able to provide quick context dependent help which goes beyond the
limitations of WhatsThis texts. You may already have this in mind under
the whatsthis redesign heading, but it isn't clear from the description.
What I envisage is to retain WhatsThis texts but provide the additional
help option of displaying short sections of the application's manual
relevant to the current gui element or context. But it would have to be
accessed quickly - far quicker than the application's handbook is
currently displayed from the help menu.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.