What to do about KColor?

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed May 30 10:59:16 BST 2007

Hi everybody!

Am Montag, 28. Mai 2007 21:34:01 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 20:40:58 Alex Merry wrote:
> > I agree with this - the function name is very confusing, because it
> > _doesn't_ blend two colours.  It overlays the second on the first.
>
> That entirely depends on your definition of what a color is.

Maybe we should use clear terms, then.  Apart from defining what a color is (I
don't intend to do so here), it appears to me as if the
terms "mixing", "blending", and "overlay[ing]" were used interchangably in
this thread.

If you want to "mix" QColor::red and QColor::white, maybe there should be a
corresponding mixColor() function, too? (Which could e.g. linearly
interpolate between the RGBA vectors, without using any alpha formulas.)
That does not follow any graphics theory, but might be something expected by
users?

IMO, the term "blending" refers to alpha blending only, which is a specific
type of "overlay[ing]" (cf. OverlayMode).

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS

PS: Sorry for responding with such a lag, but it's hard to follow such a
mammut thread carefully and "in real-time".