KDE and smartcard support

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 23 17:09:43 BST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:21:10AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> > > All I say is that the cryptography should be looked at whole.
> >
> > that's a fine goal. and one that can be done long term. let's try and
> > start at the beginning, however, and get an API into kdelibs that
> > provides smart card support.
>
> that's as wrong as it can get. apart from smartcards we have usb
> dongles, RFID devices, cryptochips (TPM), a lot of devices that can only
> store keys (magnetic cards, etc), and whatnot - and we have it *now*.
> all the surroundings already exists. now is the time to for kde to unify
> it to make it usable for joe user. it would be outright silly to
> concentrate on a specific variation of the topic only.

let's try and not confuse the issue further, please, Oswald... i'm not
saying "let's only look at one type of hardware" i'm saying "let's
concentrate on the issue of hardware based auth and not get lost discussing
every usage of crypto and authentication in KDE".

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se