meinproc4 broke? ("version `GLIBCXX_3.4.5' not found")

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed May 23 00:35:30 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>$ which gcc
>/usr/local/kde/gcc4/bin/gcc
>
>Trust me, that's the compiler being used :-)

Your meinproc was linked with the wrong gcc. You probably had your CMake
redetect the compilers while /usr/local/kde/gcc4/bin wasn't in $PATH
(or /usr/bin was before it).

>(it's gcc 4.1.2 as
>previously indicated). The problem is that for some reason things aren't
>using the libstdc++ that goes with the gcc I'm using. Any ideas why?

See below.

>I'm guessing what happened is that previously the system libstdc++ was
>"usable", and something changed in strigi that it suddenly needs the
>newer libstdc++.

That could be....

>Anyway I've worked around it for now by adding
>/usr/local/kde/gcc4/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2 to my
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I'm still confused as to *why* I need to do this.

Because
1) /usr/local/kde/gcc4/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2 isn't in your RPATH
and 2) /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 isn't suitable

Given the path above, I doubt that CMake even knew about it. So it wasn't
ever considered as an -L or rpath parameter.

gcc, however, knows about it. So, when it linked libstreamanalyzer, it
told the linker (ld) where to find the library. So the linking was
successful and recorded a symbol dependency with version GLIBCXX_3.4.5.

However, since CMake isn't aware of that path, it didn't add it to RPATH.
When you run the program, the dynamic linker uses the first libstdc++ it
can find and we end up with problem #2: it isn't suitable.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358