meinproc4 broke? ("version `GLIBCXX_3.4.5' not found")

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 22 23:08:51 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Ok, last I checked it isn't Monday... everyone else can build kdelibs,
>> right? I'm getting this:
>
> Right.
>
>> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.5' not found (required by
>> /usr/local/kde-trunk-svn/lib/libstreamanalyzer.so.0)
>
> This is not caused by KDE, but by your own system.

Well, /something/ changed and the only thing I changed was KDE. So I'm
trying to figure out why what worked before stopped working when I
upgraded KDE.

> Your libstreamanalayzer.so.0 (part of Strigi) was compiled against one
> version of libstdc++.so.6 that had version GLIBCXX_3.4.5. That version is
> now gone from libstdc++.
>
> Recompile or undo the up/downgrade you did to libstdc++.

I haven't touched gcc/libstdc++ since setting up my KDE4 environment.

>> $ /usr/bin/gcc --version # shouldn't be used?
>> gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.1)
>
> That's probably the reason why it's failing. You're using that g++ which
> is too old. It's causing your programs to link to too old a libstdc++.

$ which gcc
/usr/local/kde/gcc4/bin/gcc

Trust me, that's the compiler being used :-) (it's gcc 4.1.2 as
previously indicated). The problem is that for some reason things aren't
using the libstdc++ that goes with the gcc I'm using. Any ideas why?

I'm guessing what happened is that previously the system libstdc++ was
"usable", and something changed in strigi that it suddenly needs the
newer libstdc++.

Anyway I've worked around it for now by adding
/usr/local/kde/gcc4/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2 to my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I'm still confused as to *why* I need to do this.

--
Matthew
"Nobody expects the traditional Bourne shell!"