blend function urgently needed in kdelibs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon May 21 21:51:29 BST 2007

On 21.05.07 14:33:31, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> now, that said.. why does this need to go into kdelibs so urgently at this
> point? which apps or classes will be using it? those are more important to
> answer than "so where am i going to put it, because i am going to put it in!"
> the answer may lead us to alternative places for this class for 4.0 where it
> can mature and prove itself with the idea of moving it to kdelibs for 4.1

I think this is a similar case as nepomuk. If its completely outside of
kdelibs app developers are not aware of it and thus will once again end
up with their own solutions (possibly hard-coded colors) and even if it
is introduced in 4.1 that doesn't mean that app developers automatically
port to it if "their way" works well...

In particular KDevelop will use both the blending and the new color
roles, for example to highligh compilation errors and warnings - the
latter needs the blending because there's no warning color role, I'd
like to use a blend between error and the background for warnings. I
think the same will apply to the extra highlighting that kdevelop does
(on top of kate) using its parsers.

I guess kate can also remove some of its color-stuff when this is in
kdelibs, although maybe not everything (there are quite more colors in
kate syntaxhighlighting).

Andreas

--
Your lover will never wish to leave you.