blend function urgently needed in kdelibs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 21 21:33:31 BST 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > kdelibs desperately needs a color blending function. I am volunteering
> > (yet again) to provide one that looks like this:
> >
> > KColor blend(const KColor& c1, const KColor& c2,
> >              double k = 0.5, double r = 0.5, SPEC cs = CS_RGB,
> >              int flags = BLEND_NORMAL, int cmask = 0x0000FFFF);
> >
> > Can someone PLEASE suggest where I can put such a thing? (Due to lack of
> > prior response, if I don't hear back by next Monday I'm going to /pick/
> > somewhere and people can bitch about it.)
>
> In fact, unless someone says otherwise it's going in
> kdeui/kernel/kcolor.* on 5/28.

why would it go into kernel? have you actually looked at what's in
kdeui/kernel? it's stuff related to core application structure, e.g.
kapplication. kdeui/colors is for all things color related.

kdefx is another option, but i'd really like to see kdefx slowly melt away to
be honest. if kcolor is meant as a short term solution, then kdefx can be a
place for it. if you/we plan for it to become a broader set of kde solutions
including such things as the openusability recommendations, then a more
permanent and prominent home for it should be made, e.g. kdeui/colors. this
is particularly true if many apps will end up using it.

now, that said.. why does this need to go into kdelibs so urgently at this
point? which apps or classes will be using it? those are more important to
answer than "so where am i going to put it, because i am going to put it in!"
the answer may lead us to alternative places for this class for 4.0 where it
can mature and prove itself with the idea of moving it to kdelibs for 4.1

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se