qt code in kdelibs?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 21 18:45:55 BST 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> i'm wondering whether it would be possible to include an entire file
> from qt (qringbuffer_p.h) into kdelibs. of course the initial reaction
> is no - we cannot include gpl code. hooowever ... to use kdelibs you
> must already have a valid qt licence anyway, so putting this code into
> kdelibs would not put additional restrictions on the use of kdelibs. as

it would change the library it was put into to being GPLv2. we have a policy
about this: lgpl. we're keeping it that way, because otherwise proprietary
(or other non-GPL development; we don't have an exception clause and that
would be very hard to retrofit at this point) development would have to get
an "Ok" from Trolltech as well as every copyright holder in the kde library.
that's just not realistic.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se