.so-files in /usr/lib in kdelibs

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun May 13 00:12:33 BST 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> The current alpha release seems to ship .so-files in /usr/lib (not symlinks,
> files) that some of the executables in /usr/bin links against.

If you have a look at KDE3, you'll see that there's nothing new about that.
We've always been doing that.

> Shouldn't these .so files be treated like the other shared libs (with
> proper .so.5 names) - or alternatively moved somewhere else?
No, you can treat them as binaries, basically. They don't need a version number
because libkdeinit_kded.so is just like the kded binary, there's only one of each
in a given prefix.

Moving them somewhere else is difficult because of those binaries that link to them,
so we need to be able to find those shared libs... so if they're not in a standard lib
dir (e.g. listed in ld.so.conf), then you need either $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or you need
RPATHs into the binaries -- but that's not available everywhere, e.g. Mac OS X.